After a long, cold winter, we are all definitely ready for spring. Here in the Chicago area, Aelite Chimney Specialties normally spends a lot of time in the spring repairing winter-related damage to the exteriors of chimneys. From water leaks to damaged chimney caps to masonry problems, winter can be very destructive to a chimney. Spring is a great time to take care of these repairs, and you do not want to delay fixing winter-related chimney damage. We would like to tell you about some common post-winter chimney repairs and how our certified and experienced chimney technicians can take care of this work.
Causing potentially hundreds to thousands of dollars in chimney damage, water leaks are a chimney’s number 1 problem. After a cold winter with below-freezing temperatures, we often see leaks caused by spalling, which is the breaking off and chipping of bricks and mortar due to trapped moisture freezing and expanding within the masonry materials. Water leaks can damage the interior of your home, cause a possible mold issue, and deteriorate the structure of your chimney. These leaks can be hard to locate, so call Aelite Chimney Specialties to schedule a professional chimney inspection to determine exactly what is causing them. Certain signs of leaks do exist, and they include:
- plants growing in cracks in the mortar
- cracking and crumbling in the bricks and/or mortar
- missing bricks and pieces of mortar
- rusty stains
- brick discoloration
- water in the fireplace
- damp odors
Once Aelite Chimney Specialties locates the location of the water leaks, we will repair the leaks and prevent them from reoccurring by waterproofing your chimney and/or customizing the flashing.
Masonry Fireplace Damage
These classic chimneys are a bit more elaborate and require different types of maintenance, but Aelite Chimney Specialties has years of experience in repairing masonry chimneys and is ready to help you check these jobs off your repair list:
- crown repair – Your crown is the chimney cap of your masonry chimney and can become cracked during the winter during extremely cold spells. We can repair cracks in your chimney crown or even construct a new custom-sized crown to fit your chimney perfectly.
- repointing/tuckpointing – When the bricks and mortar of your chimney are crumbling and falling apart due to deteriorating joints from spalling and water damage, we can repair (or rebuild, if necessary) your chimney using these masonry techniques.
If you have noticed any problems from the past winter, contact Aelite Chimney Specialties as soon as possible. We are happy to resolve any chimney issues you may have.