During the warmer months, it’s somehow easier to ignore the importance of increasing energy efficiency in our homes. But there’s something about winter in northern Illinois—brutal and seemingly ceaseless—and the fact that we need to constantly run our heat at full blast that make us and our customers painfully aware of poor energy efficiency. If we’re not aware, our energy bill will serve as a reminder of how many of our hard-earned dollars we may be hemorrhaging from leaky windows and doors, uninsulated or poorly insulated attics and basements, and an uncapped chimney flue. Aelite Chimney Specialties can help you make improvements to your fireplace, stove, and/or chimney so that your heating appliance will not be to blame for so much of your energy loss.
4 Quick Facts About Energy Efficiency in Illinois
- The graph showing electricity price history in Illinois over the past 10 years shows a steady increase, meaning that if pricing continues to increase at the same rate your electricity bill will only get worse every year—unless you take matters into your own hands.
- In January 2013, the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 was passed. This Act includes the Energy Efficiency Tax Credit Extension. By implementing eligible measures in your home, you can receive a 10% tax credit up to $500.
- Luckily for you, because we live in a state that must endure frigid temperatures each year, we have lots of organizations devoted to helping residents reduce their electricity bill, improve their energy efficiency, and find rebates, incentives, and financing. For instance, Energy Impact Illinois will come to your home to conduct a free home energy assessment (valued at $400).
- According to Power2Switch.com, only .8 percent of Illinois residents are completely green, while 16.4 percent are partially green and 82.8% rely on traditional energy. However, it’s now possible to power your home entirely with electricity that’s been created by wind farms and solar panels. For information about how to lower your energy bill in Illinois, you may want to look into Power 2 Switch, which enables you to compare electricity providers and choose the best rate and plan for you—for free.
How Aelite Chimney Can Help Your Energy Efficiency
Fireplaces and stoves have a not-always-accurate reputation of saving homeowners money. In fact, these appliances and their chimneys can allow enormous amounts of energy to escape from the home. This doesn’t have to be so, however. There are a number of different ways that Aelite Chimney can help you make your heating appliance more efficient and save you money on your energy bill each month, including:
- Install a Damper on Your Chimney. The most surefire to keep your conditioned air from escaping your chimney is to install a top-sealing damper at the very top of your chimney. This damper will remain tightly closed anytime your chimney is not in use. You can read all about chimney dampers on our dedicated page, where we explain just how dampers work.
- Replace Your Old Wood Stove or Fireplace with an Energy Efficient Unit. Did you know that a new model stove or fireplace can be as much as 50 percent more energy efficient than your old model and uses 1/3 less wood for the same heat? According to the EPA, “ Older stoves that were manufactured before 1990 burn wood inefficiently which wastes firewood, pollutes the air in your neighborhood and creates dust inside your home. Newer stoves can reduce smoke and dust, as well as cut heating expenses. There are many cleaner, energy saving options, ranging from gas to high-tech wood stoves certified by the EPA.” If you’re interested in a replacement appliance, we’ll be able to help you assess what type of appliance will work best for your home and family.
- Repair and Sealing Cracks in Your Chimney, Fireplace, or Stove. Even older model appliances can be made to be more efficient with some simple weatherproofing. However, the fact that the chimney is enclosed and hard to access can make even simple weatherproofing far more complex. Our chimney technicians are happy to take care of it for you, and we can show you the results of our work with a closed circuit camera. You can read all about our chimney repair and restoration services here.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Aelite Chimney with questions about how to have a more energy efficient Illinois home. Reach us by calling (815) 363-1242.